Weekday Cooking: Oven Baked Salmon with Roasted Vegetable Couscous

 Today was supposed to be a smooth day at work. Smooth turned into rough and it went downhill from there. It's just one of those days. I thank the higher powers everyday that I took culinary lessons and what I do can make me afford what I cook. I can just cook and then eat my stress away. And this dish saved my sanity.

Today, I got a medium veggie box delivered. I switched from a mixed (fruits and vegetables) box to just a medium veggie box. I added bananas, lemons and avocados. I recently found out that I have fructose mal-absorption and I can't eat apples and pears which are always included in the mixed box. The contents of the box is quite impressive (sorry I forgot to take a picture) but it contained beets, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, leeks, capsicums, zucchini, carrots, cucumber, just to name a few. With a hoard like this, what do I make? Roast Vegetables!!!! YUM! I've made certain improvements to the way I roast them. Before, I used to just add olive oil, salt and pepper. Later, I add a mixture of herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil and parsley). Then I switched to just parsley but I added a few splashes of red wine vinegar. The veggies literally turned into a salad while they're in the oven cooking.



But what made this dish perfect is the oven baked salmon. OMG. Thank goodness for America's Test Kitchen. To avoid repeats, I've included the recipe at the end of this post.

For the roasted vegetable salad:

Ingredients:
3 carrots, sliced to 1/4 inch thick (however you cut it, try to make it as even as possible)
2 zucchinis, sliced
2 capsicums, cut into cubes
3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tsps dried parsley
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup couscous (let it bloom in a bowl with some freshly boiled water, I don't measure but what I do is I make sure that the hot water is about 1/4 inch above the couscous, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 5 minutes. You can use chicken stock and add salt and pepper)

Dressing:
1-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1-2 tablespoons blood orange infused olive oil

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place all the cut vegetables on the tray and bake for 20-30 minutes. Mine took about 25 minutes to cook. Take the tray out of the oven and place all the veggies in the bowl with the couscous. Gently mix together. Drizzle the pomegranate molasses and blood orange infused orange oil. Set aside and prepare the salmon.

Serve salmon on a bed of the roasted vegetable couscous. PERFECT!


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments