My Sunday Best: Smothered Salmon with Wilted Spinach

I got the inspiration from this Food Safari's Lebanese episode a few years back and I never forgot it ever since. Originally, it's called Baked Salmon "Tarator" Style by Greg Malouf. He cooks a whole Tasmanian salmon in the oven, makes a tahini yogurt dressing and layers this onto the fish. Then he makes a salad of fresh herbs and nuts and pats this mixture on top of the tahini yogurt dressing. The result looked amazing and I always wanted to try this myself.

My version, however, is very very simplified and I think I have achieved a similar but very different result - still very good, taste-wise. The only thing that's missing here is the fresh herbs because I just made this dish with whatever I have on hand.

For the dressing, I have 1/4 cup of tahini paste, 1/4 cup of low fat yogurt and 1 tsp of harissa paste because I like the kick! Mix this then set aside.

For the fish, obviously, I'm not going to bake an entire salmon, so I just poached mine with some whole peppercorns and bay leaves for 8-10 minutes. I like mine a bit on the rare side, so I cooked my salmon for just 8 minutes. With the remaining poaching liquid, I wilted some spinach leaves onto it and placed this on a plate.

With a small spatula, I spread the dressing on the fish (like icing a cake!) and sprinkled some mix nuts and seeds on top. Voila! A healthy, easy lunch and looks like dessert!

Comments