My Sunday Best: Five Spice Roast Chicken

I've never met a person who doesn't like or enjoy a good roast chicken. If you try to google a recipe on roast chicken, I'm pretty sure you'll find over a million recipes with thousands of ways to make it. The best thing about a roast chicken is it's very versatile - you can never go wrong with any flavour combination you decide to go with. I've made my fair share of roast chicken recipes - along with several disasters at that. Under cooked, overcooked, too bland, too salty - and my poor family had to endure through all that. Luckily for them, they survived my every attempt at making the perfect roast chicken. So today, this is another version of my roast chicken but with a very Asian touch to it - five spice powder.









I didn't want this to be plain so I did a little research. The basic roast chicken with five spice powder is mixing it with soy sauce and honey. Now, add some more Asian ingredients into this - garlic, ginger (which I forgot to add, by the way, but I'm definitely sure will be nice too), shallots, sesame oil and my own personal twist - pimiente d'espelette or espelette powder for that extra kick. Whiz this up in the blender. I got my trusty mini KitchenAid blender. Be prepared! This was one of the best smelling marinades I've ever made. One whiff and it took me back to the streets of my home - Chinatown. I imagined walking past one of the local joints selling roast pork and cold cuts. It was gorgeous! Make this with seasonal vegetables of your choice and you got yourself a nice Sunday roast.




I got a 1.6kg free range chicken from my local butcher, slathered the marinade and placed it in the oven at 200C for 50-60 minutes. I turned it in the oven a couple of times to get the skin evenly browned. My kitchen smelled like the Chinese restaurant that my family and I used to go to on Sunday nights because we just didn't feel like cooking on weekends. I don't go out to eat much now during weekends by myself but I'm glad that I can make one hell of a good roast.




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments