My Test Kitchen: My First Ever - Pumpkin Pie

This is really good it will be bad not to share. Pumpkin pie. This is my first attempt at making a pie but I cheated of course. I didn't make the crust. I'm not brave enough for that yet...maybe someday...

Making a pumpkin pie is the last thing in my agenda. And believe me, I have a long list of desserts that I want to make. It all started when my aunt sent me a bottle of pumpkin spice from Trader Joe's. So what am I supposed to do with this? Make pumpkin pie, of course! Was what she said. And that I did.












Of course, I had to hop onto USAFoods.com to get pumpkin puree because it's not available anywhere. The goodies quickly arrived. Then I got a pie pan after that. Now, the fun can begin.

Next up, was to look for a decent recipe. That wasn't too hard either. I got a Dorie Greenspan recipe but I thought it was too posh and I wanted something basic. So Libby's has this recipe at the back of the pumpkin pie puree can. How can I go wrong with that?

Fortunately, an eager friend came over today to try it out. And I'm happy to say that it passed the test. He said it's pretty close to what his mom used to make and that's perfect by me!

So here's the recipe:

3/4 cup white sugar
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin spice
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin puree
1 375ml can evaporated milk - I used the creamy kind
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust

Prepare the pie pan and line it with the pastry crust. No need to bake it.

Mix all the ingredients together. Pour it into the pan. Bake at 200C for 15mins. Then reduce the temp to 160C for another 40-50mins. Cool completely.

This was the last slice of the pie! Very happy with it. It was custardy and creamy. Full of pumpkin spice flavor and quite milky too. My kitchen smelled like heaven -- cloves, cinnamon and allspice. It was amazing!


Comments