Chook Fest: One Sheet Pan Roast Chicken, Chorizo, Sweet Potatoes and Couscous

Everyone these days is crazy over one pot, one skillet, one sheet pan wonder meals. I do have a day job so cooking sometimes can be a chore. Though for me, most days, cooking sort of eases my stress but I have to say that I still hate cleaning up after! At the end of a busy day, I do like a satisfying meal and I also have lazy days when all I want is to have pizza delivered. On some days when I do want a delicious meal, I always go to my favorite method of cooking - roasting. I think everything can be roasted - from meats to vegetables to fruits. My favorite meat to roast is definitely chicken and it can be any part of the bird. As always, roasting chicken on the bone is the best but sometimes I can be lazy and want to eat something without having to fuss around with chicken bones. Chicken breasts can be notoriously tough when roasted so timing is really key. This mixed with veggies can also be tricky. The simplest way to do this is to make sure you've cut the vegetables into the right size so that it will cook together with the meat at the same time. Oven temperature is also key here - too low and veggies will be overcooked while the chicken is still under.



For this meal, my oven is at 200C and the whole sheet pan was cooked in 20 minutes. I cut the sweet potatoes thickly so that they won't melt in the oven as the chicken cooks. The chicken is coated with dried oregano, smoked paprika and olive oil to let sit for 15 mins while everything else is being prepped. I added another one of my favorite ingredients - chorizo. This really makes the dish as the oil from the chorizo oozes out, it also flavours the sweet potato underneath. It's very easy, simple and delicious. There is really no recipe to follow here - I eyeballed everything according to taste. I also did not use a lot of salt here because the chorizo is already salty. The final step is the couscous. I don't actually cook couscous but I only pour enough boiling water over the couscous then added the paprika scented pan juices to it. The result was one of the tastiest couscous side dishes I've ever made and nothing was wasted.

Comments