Togetsutei Hotel - Kaiseki Dinner and Breakfast @ Arashiyama, Kyoto

For our final night in Kyoto, I booked a special place for Mom and I to stay at. I guess I could say that this is a once in a lifetime experience because of the price tag. But it does come with a kaiseki dinner and a Japanese style breakfast.

So our room has a private onsen in it and it could potentially fit 8 people. Everything was just luxurious and very well provided for.

Our room had a mini garden

And our private onsen!!! I love this one

Our living room that turned into our sleeping area

welcome green tea and some sweets

Mom and me wearing our yukatas

It's time for dinner! This is our menu for our kaiseki dinner

First course - on the white plate is abalone with some uni
In the yellow bowl was some spinach with fish and what tasted like cheese and pumpkin

Close up of the abalone dish

Close up of the fish with cheese and pumpkin

My favorite dish - this is autumn on a plate. The cup had crab with some fish roe
There was also mackerel and sushi wrapped in persimmon leaf
Taro balls, some edamame, a piece of kani wrapped in daikon
And the cute little bunny there was a red bean dumpling

Just want to show you how the plating was presented -
it looked like a bridge. Too beautiful to eat!



What's inside the bowl - fish roe, spinach

A beautiful plate of fresh sashimi. I can't remember all the different fish but the one on
the far right was my favorite

I forgot to take a picture of this one after I opened the lid
but it was fish and mushroom soup. The broth was really clear.
You squeeze in the lemon and pour a tiny bit into the cup.
One my favorite dishes as well.

This was Japanese style Surf n Turf.
This was the only meat dish of the night. It also had gingko nuts and green bell peppers.

The taro you see here did not taste like anything.
It's like putting something in your mouth then it just disappears!
I love bean curd rolls and this one was wrapped with fish and mushrooms.

Just to show you the detail that they put into the kaiseki dinner.
Even this piece of carrot was very intricately cut.

Another one of my favorite dishes.
This tasted like a cloud made with egg white and vegetables
Then cooked in a sticky vegetable broth. 

This was our rice dish made with mushrooms.
This was very filling and I was really full by this time so I only had a small portion.

Typically served along side rice, pickles were always on any Japanese style meal

Our miso soup with bean curd and some pieces of fish

And finally, green tea pudding for dessert!
Another trip to the onsen then bedtime :)

We had breakfast served in our room at 7am before our trip to the bamboo grove. Our breakfast was not measly either! OMG...What a way to start the day. If this is how breakfast is served to me everyday, I would happily go to work and think that nothing will ever go wrong!

Yup, all this just for me!!!

A selection of pickles

A portion of salmon and tamago, some dried baby fish

This was my favorite - this was like firm tofu with plenty of minced vegetables.
It was served in a light broth and was sweet instead of savory

Squid Sashimi

This is interesting. This was rice actually with a sour plum like soup.

Then lastly, dessert - a green tea roll

Served with iced coffee!

Comments