Soy Milk Ramen @ Hishio Ramen, Yamato Oji dori, Gion District, Kyoto

If there is one thing I would come back to Kyoto for, this is one of them - soy milk based ramen. Odd as it may sound, this is a very clean tasting broth that is light in texture and does not have a lingering taste of soy milk. There is none of the nastiness from the milk as well and presents a light ramen meal. It has 2 pieces of chicken karaage on top which was more of an afterthought but still I think it works for the bowl of delicious soup.



I learned about this dish from an anime called Shokugeki no Souma - which you will find references to throughout my trip in Japan. I watched the cooking battle between father and son where the father cooked a soy milk based vegetarian ramen with a lot of different roasted vegetables on top and I was more fascinated than weirded out. I decided that I will not leave Japan without trying it out. It did not disappoint :)

Comments