Food Tripping in Kyoto @ Izuju (Sushi), Issen Yoshoku (Okonomiyaki) and King of Gyoza

We began our mini food trip at Izuju for Kyoto style sushi. I really like the saba (mackerel) that is salted with lots of rice and wrapped in kelp. Remember to not eat the kelp. It was not fishy at all and the saltiness not overwhelming. Strangely, it is not something I would eat everyday but more of a novelty. I guess I'm just not used to the typical local sushi in Kyoto. The aji is a slightly less tastier version of the saba. Definitely go for the saba.


Next stop, Mom wanted to try this famous gyoza place. I'm not very crazy about dumplings at all but it's worth a shot. Although, I had the best chicken karaage I've had in a long long time. So how is this one special? It's hot, crunchy, juicy, salty and meaty. Perfect with a glass of cold cold beer!


So we're almost full from the first two items, with that, we decided to try one more stop - Issen Yoshoku okonomiyaki. There was plenty of things to say about this place. Mom would probably say it's cheesy but I think it is very retro. The interior says it all! The star here is the okonomiyaki and it's all they serve here. Only 1 item and plenty of drinks to go with it. I had mine with matcha juice. Mom thought it's too salty, I thought it's too sweet. They could hold back on the sauce a bit. Other than that, I thought it was well made.






Comments