Don Don Yakiniku @ Kabukicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo

For some reason, I love Tokyo at night. I know it gets crowded and rowdy but I found that there's still some order to everything. It was haphazard but still subtle. Bustling but not too insane. Yea, the crowd could get to you, and people seem to be unapologetic about it too, as if it happens all the time, so what?

Mom and I were having a very beefy day today. We just had a sukiyaki lunch at Imahan and now we're headed to Don Don at Kabukicho, an izakaya yakiniku place. I really love this joint. Not just because it had an English menu but the food here was simple and delicious. Meat just cooked over a hot charcoal, washed down with sake or your liquor of choice. You can keep the meat coming because they're going to cook really really fast. And of course, you're going to smell like smokey meat at the end of your meal but who cares? You're in Tokyo!

The chefs

The grill and our meat with kimchi

Different cuts of meat for our grill. Yum!

It's grill time!


Our hot sake and plum wine with soda

Grilling mushrooms. Very nice and sweet!
Perfect for the charcoal grill

This was my favorite. Ox tongue!

And they're on!

Comments