Awesome Sukiyaki @ Imahan, Shinjuku Takashimaya, Tokyo

Whenever I think of Japan, sukiyaki was never on my top list of things to eat. It's a good thing I had Mom in charge of the food! One of the restaurants on her list was Imahan, a well known sukiyaki restaurant. For some reason, it did not appeal to me that much but surprisingly, it was one of the best meals I've had in Japan.

The best part was really the beef and the very simple way it was prepared.

We both had a different set meal. Mom had the sukiyaki that's already been cooked and was on a bed of rice. Honestly, there was a huge difference! The sukiyaki cooked on the metal plate was very tender. I think the difference was the quality of the beef used.


Mom's set meal

Preparing to cook. She put a little soy sauce and dashi stock then started cooking the meat.
Just for a few seconds, then dip the meat onto the raw egg.

A close up look at the beautiful marbled beef

Then the veggies were cooked.

At the end of the meal, another raw egg was scrambled and cooked on the metal plate.
Placed on top of some rice as the final course.
This was also my first time to have ohagi. That's a red bean with a mochi inside.
This day was a national holiday to celebrate the first day of autumn

We had 2 desserts for this meal - ohagi and pear sorbet

Comments