My Sunday Best: Pear Gingerbread Cake

Dear readers, the last cake I made was xxx ago. Yes, I can hardly remember. Maybe it was a loaf cake? Or a pumpkin pie (is that even a cake???) Ok. Calm down. It's time to make one.

I love Sundays because I felt that it has a tendency to be a slow day. For me, Sunday is usually family "hangout" day. Yes, all my aunties from Manila, Taiwan and US will dial in and chat. This will basically take up the whole of my day. Sometimes more than half the day. I'm not chained to my desk and I can still move around the house but you get the picture. Last Sunday was a bit of a break for me because everyone was busy doing something...well, except me. So guess what? Let's make cake!

I followed a recipe from The Kitchn from Alana Chernila. This recipe is just too simple to pass up. But of course, there is no such thing as me following the recipe to the letter (maybe except if it's a Dorie Greenspan recipe). The differences I made were using vanilla flavored yogurt (seriously, add more flavor wherever you can!), I used wholewheat flour instead of all purpose, I used pumpkin pie spice (because...why not?) and I used only 1 pear instead of 2.

My cousin actually said that it reminded him of a banana cake. Hmmm, maybe next time, use bananas instead of pears then sprinkle brown sugar on top to caramelize? Ooooohhhh....*drool

Comments