Sinangang na Sinigang (Tamarind Soup Fried Rice) @ Kanin Club, UP Ayala Technohub, Diliman, Quezon City

For Filipinos, rice is a staple food in our diet. We eat it whenever, wherever - maybe except during snack (or merienda) time. We have fried garlic rice for breakfast and we can eat that with lunch and dinner too. Some people find it overwhelming and after living overseas for a while, I've gotten used to a no-rice on my main meals. 

Coming back here, I've sort of gotten used to eating rice with my meals again and I do try to keep it to a minimum. But today, I'll make an exception to the whole no-rice ideology, because we are, after all, at Kanin Club. 

I found that the most special part of this meal was the Sinangang na Sinigang (Php 250), on the left. It tasted just like a sinigang soup (tamarind soup with local vegetables like eggplant, string beans and pumpkin) mixed into rice. It was sour and not too salty. I thought that it was perfect just on its own.

We also had the Loaded Fried Rice (Php 200), which is the restaurant's version of a Yang Chou fried rice. I also liked this one because it was not too oily or salty. And I can eat this on its own too.


For our other dishes, we had the Itsi Bitsi (Php 250), which sadly, no one liked. The beef was fried and was too tough instead of crispy. I can feel that it had a buttery taste to it like shredded beef steak fried in butter. Aside from that, nothing too much to like.

We had the Dilis (Anchovy) Salad. I liked this one because it was well balanced. It had a sweet sour and salty taste. And for the first time, I really liked the onions, because I actually don't like onions.


Seafood Kare Kare (Php 300) is really nice as well. I thought that the sauce was delicious and luscious. Just that the squid was too tough that I can't really eat it. I would just prefer to eat the kare kare and the veggies with the bagoong!


Comments