A Creative Japanese Meal @ Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine @ Market Lane, Melbourne CBD

My Christmas holidays officially started when Mom arrived. To prove that, we went out to dinner at Shoya Nouvelle. It is one of the Japanese places that I really liked to try, simply because it is different from the other authentic ones out there. If you are still after authentic Japanese food, you will not be disappointed here. The sashimi was as fresh as the sea.

Tonight we opted for the Degustation menu (AUD 120). It eased our decision making away, neither of us want to make a decision on what to eat. All that matters was that the food is delicious. I'm a bit picky, though.

Hokkaido Crab Salad (Left in the cup) - Hokkaido Crab salad with Shiso, Tosa Vinegar and Grapefruit caviar and mousse topped with Salmon Roe. Then Tuna Tartare CanapĂ© - Tuna Yuzu pepper tartare over vegetable 5 season terrine with Shiitake mushroom jelly and Koji Sauce. These ones were not really high on my list. The crab with the shiso was very salty then the grapefruit caviar was very bland. I'm not too sure what prompted this combination but I will give points for creativity.

Hatching Ocean Egg (Right) - Steamed egg omelette with dashi, Spinach puree, black truffle
topped with Tempura Scampi. Their new version of chawanmushi was simply excellent in every way. The custard was light and not too salty. It was the perfect balance of slurpy-ness and awesome presentation.


Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Assortment of Sashimi (Left) - Carefully selected and arranged by the chef to delight our eyes and mouth. This dish was in one word - outstanding. Mom and I really enjoyed this dish. The fish was so fresh it was almost ridiculous. Everything melted in my mouth but I loved the kingfish the best. I savored every yummy morsel.

Gyu Tan Anago (Right) - Red wine, Sake and Soy sauce stewed Ox Tongue topped with
Eggplant and grilled sea eel. Ok. Let me say this - the unagi here was really nice and excellent. The fish was really tender and its oiliness did not spoil the dish at all. What got me was the ox tongue. It was too damn salty. Too bad because it was very tender and I mean "just look at it and it will fall apart" tender.


Hokkaido Crab Tempura (Left) - Whole ‘Taraba’ crab leg flash-fried in tempura with green tea salt. I really love this. I really do. That's it.

Wagyu Beef Steak (Right) - Wagyu eye fillet steak covered with Black truffle, Enoki, Shiitake miso sauce 5 grain rice pancake and poached daikon. This one was really excellent as well. The beef was nicely cooked the way I like it (medium well). The only thing that I didn't like so much was the rice "pancake" which were like cubes of hardened rice, like chewy rice puffs. I'm not sure why it is there.

Suimono (not pictured) - Clear soup seafood based with leek and soba seed. I really liked the smokiness of the soup but Mom didn't like it. She said it tasted weird but I think it cut through the richness of the beef.


Chef’s selection of home made dessert. I can't remember everything on the plate but I know that the cake on the upper left side of the plate is tasted like a SEA URCHIN flavored cheesecake and it's not bad. I don't know why but it just worked. The other cakes were just average and I didn't finish them all. Someone had to wheel me out.




Comments