Take Me To Work: Poached Chicken Breast with Ginger Sauce

As humble as this dish is, it is also filling. It is extremely easy to make and always reminds me of home. I think everyone should be able to make his/her own ginger sauce. As long as you have a blender and you can add as many flavor combinations as you like to, even experiment with flavored oils.

For the chicken breast, you can use just plain water or any stock. While it boils, I used a stick of bruised lemongrass, ginger and peppercorns. I placed the chicken breasts into the boiling flavored water, turn off the heat and put on the lid. Set aside for 30-45 minutes. The chicken meat will be extremely tender. If you notice that there is still some blood on the meat or a bit raw, take the chicken breasts out, boil the water again, turn off the heat then re-submerge the meat into it until cooked to your liking.

For the ginger sauce, I used about 3-4 thumb sized ginger, I didn't peel the skin anymore and just blintz them in the blender until it resembles a paste. At this point, you can choose to add lemongrass, chilies, garlic, leeks or scallions. I didn't add any to mine. Place the minced ginger in a container, add salt to taste, sesame oil, any flavorless oil or olive oil. Used canola oil so that the sesame oil will stand out. I think lemon infused or chili infused olive oil will work really well too.

Comments