Ladies Lunch @ The Mess Hall, Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD

I can't really say that I'm a regular-regular here at The Mess Hall but if I need to impress some friends and the simple but quaint setting is required - The Mess Hall is my go to place. It's close to work, the pasta here hits the spot and service is always consistent. I come here when I need a quiet and not so busy spot to myself, especially on days when it was so busy and I am having serious carb-cravings. Also, another thing you will notice here is the music. Yup, they play pretty interesting music here and I do mean old school, classic jazz artists - man, the guy who runs this place has pretty cool taste in music. Anyway...

They always have their lunch on express, it is not very expensive in my books but this sort of lies somewhere between simple and comfort food. You get a pasta dish with a glass of soft drink, house white or red for AUD 23.50. Their house wines are pretty decent as well.

M and B both had the saffron gnocchi while I had the mushroom rigatoni. I like them both. I personally am not a gnocchi fan but I had a taste and it was very cheesy. If you like the gorgonzola scent wafting from pillow-y gnocchi, this is for you. I, on the other hand, like the porcini mushroom and truffle oil combination - classic and luxurious.

Comments