GW Fins @ French Quarter, New Orleans

Scalibut
GW Fins came highly recommended from almost every review I've read. On one of the very hot evenings, we decided to do a walk-in and try it out.

First off, GW Fins has a dress code. If you don't pass the dress code, chances are, you're going to get a seat close to the bar. The main dining area is mainly for people have made reservations in advance and is dressed according to the dress code. I think it's been a while since I have to properly dress up for dinner, even here in Melbourne. But being tourists, well, we weren't dressed for the occasion. However, we were still given seats and excellent service.












As we were seated down, we were immediately served biscuits straight from an oven tray. Can I just say, I've never had biscuits this good before. This is the best ones I've had EVER. I can probably skip all the other food and just eat these for dinner. How good are they you say? Flaky but tender, moist but still melts in your mouth, rich without being greasy. I can describe these are quite decadent and I really struggled not to fill myself up before the main meal arrives. And the best thing about it is, they will keep serving them until you say stop.


Now on to the real food.


GW Fins Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato




Appetizers:

Lobster Dumplings (USD $10) - This one was just average. I didn't like the dumpling skin. The filling I felt was also quite mushy and did not have a lot of flavor. I was expecting to see piece of lobster but it's more of like minced lobster.

















Fried Soft Shell Crab (USD $14) - I liked this one better compared to the lobster dumplings. I guess I prefer the crunchiness and saltiness of the dish. Needless to say, the crab was very fresh and sweet. Since you can eat the entire thing, nothing was left to waste. It is almost tempura-like but the batter was lighter in texture and has it's own special seasoning.












Mains:

Scalibut (USD $32, photo above) - I have to say that this one was really perfect. I've eaten a lot of things here in my first trip to New Orleans. Aside from an awesome etouffee and beignets with frozen latte, this is one of the best dishes I've had in this city. It's a piece of halibut topped with sliced sea scallops. There was also risotto and pea shoot butter. The risotto and the sauce were just OK but the scalibut itself was out of this world. Just a word of warning - if you are hungry, be sure to order something else. This won't fill you up. This dish is more for enjoyment and experience.


Niman Ranch Pork Chop (USD $28)
I thought to blog this dish because I think it is quite unique. It's not everyday that you can pair strawberries with meat. I had a piece of this and the pork chop was really really tender. I personally find the sauce too sweet but of course, they never do things halfway here in New Orleans. If sweet sauces are more to your liking, then this is for you.













Dessert:
Salty Malty Ice Cream Pie (USD $8)
I'm not one for ice cream pies or ice cream cake. I guess the child in me did not really like this idea but I think this is a very good version. The part I liked about this the most was the caramel whipped cream.

Comments