My US Trip 2015 - New York City

I've been out of commission for a while on my blog - and with good reason too. I took a trip to the USA and went to New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Jose and spent a day at San Francisco. Needless to say that I had a fantastic time and there is no other place to record it other than here on my blog.

I think travelling is in my blood but then again, everyone these days travel and to far more exotic places. I would like to add more on my list of places to visit. At the top most definitely is Paris then Morocco.

For this year, my main splurge was to travel to the US. The last time I've been there was back in 2012, when I was stationed in Charlotte, North Carolina. I stayed there for a month and it was damn cold too, in February. I flew out every weekend and traveled to New York, Boston and San Jose. Coming back to the states was a bit nostalgic to me, especially on my trip back to New York and this time, it was stinky hot. But I'm not complaining, because I have escaped most of the Melbourne winter.



New York did not leave me with a good impression the first time, though. I know a lot of people love New York - the city, the vibe, the food but the locals here are very abrupt. Everything moves fast here, so if you're not a city girl like me, you are not going to like New York at all.

My second trip here however has a more intimate vibe, because I'm traveling with my aunt. I'm playing a sort of a tour guide here but in New York, it's quite easy to get around - just call a taxi and they are pretty much everywhere.

I won't be able to chronicle every single thing we did but looking back, there were definite highlights.

Walking around New York was an obvious favorite thing for me to do. I can walk for miles and miles along these streets and there will always going to be something interesting to eat and see. We stopped by Rockefeller to take some pictures and then to the Grand Central Terminal.



It was my first time to go to the New York Public Library but unfortunately, the reading room was under renovation. Well, there's a reason for me to come back then.



Next up, a trip to the Guggenheim Museum was very much worth it. After going to MoNA in Tasmania, I really like quirky museums like these. The exhibitions were always a bit, well, strange. They are modern but quite compelling and some that you can easily relate to.


My trip will not be complete without a visit to the Met. I absolutely love this place. The space, the art and the courtyards were the highlights. The new spot I found was the Rooftop Cafe, where it was sunny and has a stunning view of the New York city jungle.


I am a serious impressionist girl but this Degas painting of ballerinas practicing was just breathtaking. The other items on display at the Met were also quite impressive. My aunt and I spent the whole day there and we did not even see everything.

This oh-so-beautiful blue tile made me want to visit Morocco and sit in one of the cafes surrounded by the heat and delicious small plates of food.

The Egyptians really know jewelry and I was really taken with this bracelet with coral jewels and yes, those are cats!

Lastly, the China Through the Looking Glass exhibition was on display. I simply had to go. It was so packed with people and we could hardly move! We managed to take a few snaps and just decided to skip the rest of the exhibit. I managed to take some of my favorites.

So there's my rundown of my recent trip to New York. Without a doubt it's one of the most vibrant cities in the world and I can understand the fascination. I can't really compare it to Melbourne at all as they are really extremely different. I will definitely come back to New York for another round of the hectic vibe.

Comments