My US Trip 2015 - New Orleans

From my trip back from the US, there is always one place I kept thinking about, and that's New Orleans. Granted we only stayed in the French Quarter and didn't really venture out into the Garden District. Many people said that once you go out of the French Quarter, the area is not particularly safe and is very much poorer. I didn't get to see that side of New Orleans and in a way, I'm glad for it. The memories of the plantations, the colorful buildings and the food will stay with me until my next visit.

So far, I like what I have experienced in NOLA - the people are more laid back and friendlier, they greet you and say hello, they have so much culture to share and offer - the tourists love the night tours and tales of ghosts and the supernatural and they have cajun and creole food in almost every restaurant. I know I kept talking about the food here but I'll leave that for another post. This city deserves it.






As for my time here, I loved walking along the streets of New Orleans. You can see interesting facades of the buildings on almost every corner of the streets. Remember to look up and notice the gas lamps at night time and also when you look down, you'll notice that the buildings were not particularly built straight - yes! they are slanted. The color used on the buildings were hugely influenced by the Spanish, French and of course, from the Caribbean and African inhabitants for centuries. I love the balconies with the filigree like furnishings and the hanging plants that decorate them. It always makes me stop and just admire them. Just have to be careful to not stop too abruptly or someone will bump into you!


A memorable trip to the Laura and Oak Alley plantations and the warmth of the New Orleans sunshine will stay with me while Melbourne is still on winter mode. Walking underneath the thick foliage of the oak branches and the luscious scent of the plantation were instant pick-me-ups on gloomy winter days.






The cemetery tour was another highlight, although it was stifling hot that day, I tried to remember as much as I can about NOLA's burial rituals and procedures. The people here have a lot of respect for the dead and they intend to keep it that way. They do not shy away from the macabre, but instead welcome it and it became part of their daily lives.


At night, the streets of NOLA comes to life, specially on Bourbon Street. If you're after a drink or more, there's a bar on every stop, you will never leave here thirsty.



Surprisingly, NOLA is also a haven for artists and their crafts. If you're after handmade jewelry or antiques, there are plenty along Royal and Dumaine.

Lastly, don't leave town without listening to some home grown jazz music. People here love to play and be heard and they play with attitude too. If there's anything I've learned from this trip to NOLA, it's that everyone has a personality and NOLA knows how to exude it.



Comments