Dinner @ Sake Restaurant and Bar, Southbank, Melbourne CBD

Let's talk about Thursday night. I had such a tough time at work, I was late for a 5:30pm dinner at Sake Restaurant and Bar and had to call them to move it to 6pm. We don't have a lot of time for the 7:30pm show of Ballet Revolucion - which was amazing, btw! There's nothing like this fusion of ballet and Latin dancing. The band was outstanding and the dancers - well, let's just say it's like a PG view of Magic Mike. Anyway, let's talk about the food, shall we?

So, we had the pre-theatre degustation @ 65AUD per person. I honestly thought that I won't get full from the food but surprisingly, they seriously served 3 servings of each dish. Everything I had was delicious and packed with flavour but sometimes I think the food is not really Japanese. But, honestly, it didn't bother me that much. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cocktail lovers beware, Sake serves delicious and very well mixed drinks - all creative and inventive. Let's start with that. I had the Pink Blossom $18 consists of muddled fresh strawberries, Choya umeshu and cranberry juice shaken with passionfruit and freshly squeezed lime juice. This is such a girly drink but be warned - it has a very sour taste. I like it for its refreshing and tangy taste.

Click to add a blog post for Saké Restaurant & Bar on Zomato



Next was the Nigami $18 that is their version of Negroni but I think this is better. It is sweet and has a deep orange flavour. It is sticky almost like eating an orange flavoured bun. Love it.

Food-wise we had 5 dishes. The first one was, well, not really a dish but more of an appetiser - edamame. Moving on, japanese kingfish jalapeño. Fresh sashimi and reminded me a bit of what we had before at Supernormal but less citrus. The soy taste is stronger. I wish they had put less of it as it can be overpowering after the next bites.











Tempura soft shell crab. Ok. I love soft shell crab so I'm biased. The tempura batter made the crab really airy and light, making it feel as if you're eating fried crab flavoured clouds. What I didn't like though was the sauce. It's making me look for a wasabi based aioli. I think it will work well.





For our main, we had the char-coal lamb shoulder garlic white soy with salted sesame praline and toasted broken nori. It's delicious. It actually tasted like pork shoulder than lamb. I didn't care about the sesame praline though but I thought it was a nice touch. What I really loved though was the toasted sesame salad with shredded cabbage. I could eat this all day with the sesame dressing.

So it's dessert time. goma caramelized white chocolate with chocolate mousse and sesame praline sesame ice cream. This again reminded me of the peanut butter praline with chocolate mousse at Supernormal BUT it has a lighter texture. If you found the one from Supernormal too rich and decadent, this one will be just right.



Comments