Birthday Bash Part 2 @ Sezar, Melbourne CBD

So, I have two birthday traditions every year. One is to celebrate my birthday with my chosen family and another is with my real family. This post is for the latter. I always try to choose somewhere that is interesting and new. Being Melburnians we are such food critics, sometimes I found that it is very difficult to please our appetites. There's always something to fault - ambiance, service, food - but at the end of the day, all I can say is, we love to eat.

My initial intention was to book a spot at Maha but their online booking system failed me so I had to pull up my sleeves and put in a little more effort in finding another restaurant. I have found Sezar. Surprisingly, Sezar used to be a seafood fine dining restaurant that I've been to ages ago and now, it has transformed itself into an Armenian restaurant.

For tonight though we had another thing to celebrate - my cousin is having a boy!!!! I'm a happy soon to be godmother. I had fun talking about potential baby names and I had to talk my cousin out of naming my godson from a Lord of the Rings trilogy or some supernatural tv series.

For starters, we had the BASTOURMA & EGG / Armenian air dried beef, quail egg, toasted brioche & garlic jam (2pcs) - $10. The staff is happy enough to give us 3 pieces instead of two on the menu and we've asked to remove the quail egg from one of them. They are flexible enough to change this. For me, this was the best dish of the night. I loved the crunchy brioche with the rich yolk from the quail egg. The combination was just right.
Click to add a blog post for Sezar on Zomato




We also had the SPINACH and FETA BOREG / Aleppo mayo (3pcs) ($12) - This was also nice but we noticed that the filling was far too scant. My cousin consciously liked the pastry. It was flaky, crunchy and light.

We had 1 medium dish from the menu SPANNER CRAB MANTI / Armenian dumplings, sumac yoghurt & chilli oil (4pcs) ($16) - This was just average and the filling was too doughy. I guess I was expecting it to be more like the dumplings we get from Asian restaurants.










For mains, we had the BASTOURMA SPICED BEEF CHEEK / Charred eggplant puree, steamed rice ($30) - This really reminded me of a Malaysian rendang. It has an earthy and spicy taste to it.

Another main we had was the BBQ LAMB RUMP / Eggplant salsa, brown butter & yoghurt ($32) - This was just average and I thought the lamb from San Telmo was way better. The charred eggplant salsa was too strong.






For dessert, we had the baklava and the panna cotta ($14 each). I liked the baklava better - definitely loved the caramel sauce!


Comments