My Test Kitchen: Alton Brown's Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe

This was the reason why I got buttermilk in the first place. I know that everyone is on the health train recently but oatmeal is really not anything new. I first heard about steel cut oats from Sandra Dub's class 3 years ago and I didn't make the effort to try it until yesterday. It wasn't difficult to find. Now to find a decent recipe for it - I turn to Alton Brown's recipe. I made a few tweaks of my own and it still tasted great.

I changed the 1/2 cup milk to 1/4 cup cream + 1/4 cup almond milk. The rest was exactly the same. The result was surprisingly delicious and very filling. It wasn't mushy at all and not disgusting like instant or microwave oats. It didn't taste like cardboard. It was velvety and luscious. Like the way Alton described it - breakfast risotto. It was very al dente to the point that I can still chew on the oats - in a good way. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.

Comments