An Inspired Variation: Herb-y and Garlicky Buttermilk Dressing

So Sunday rolled around and is almost gone again. Right now, I'm sitting in my living room, nursing a large cup of cinnamon tea with the tv off. I did a marathon of The Originals (and oh boy that show is good!) yesterday and half of my day today, I thought my mind needed a break from all the family drama and supernatural stuff that has been happening on that show. Speaking of "nursing", I'm also nursing a cut on my index finger that I got yesterday from using my v-slicer. It was a stupid kitchen accident but we all get those once in a while, right? Nothing like a little adventure in the kitchen but it was worth it.
I didn't have a lot of cooking planned this weekend but I made a really nice buttermilk dressing with my slaw, salad and steak. I used the same dressing for them all. It was awesome. Granted it was a little on the runny side but I made it work. It was a revelation for me to use buttermilk as a base for dressings as I always used yogurt, mayo or olive oil. I'm not sure if I prefer yogurt to buttermilk, though but I like the light sour component that it adds to the party.

My version is simple: 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp mince garlic, 2 tbsps fresh parsley, 2 tbsps fresh coriander, salt and pepper to taste. Use liberally to dress a slaw (mine is simply a combination of carrot and zucchini), a garden salad and a steak. Yum!

Comments