My Test Kitchen: Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

Here I go again. Whenever I tell myself that I'll cut down on the sugar, I'm tempted to bake another sweet thing in my kitchen. The weather today is really fine and I really wanted to get my ass out the door for a walk but I'm feeling lazy. Plus, I'm catching up on True Blood. I know it's all over but it's never too late to find out what happened. Anyway....

I saw Averie Cooks' Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze on Pinterest and decided to give it a shot. Ever since my friend introduced me to the insanely sweet and spicy flavor of cinnamon, I'm just hooked. I love it on almost every baked good I make and tend to think that it works with every baked sweet ever invented.

I like this cake of course, not only because of its flavor, but also because of its texture. It's crumbly and tender. The filling of butter and brown sugar was just genius. The butter browns in the oven and the sugar caramelises - imagine the end result. Yup, an earthy and sticky topping swirled into a buttery tender crumb. I know its calories on a small dessert plate but it is so worth it. I didn't make the cream cheese glaze. Maybe for a special occasion - I need to save my waistline.

Comments