Chook's Fest: My Sweet Mexican Chicken Wings

Actually this is a combination of Chinese and Mexican flavors and surprisingly, it worked!

I spent half my day at Victoria Gardens. After getting a ticket to see Big Hero 6, I stopped by Dymocks. I think I will not buy another paper back again (I love my Kindle!) but I will always buy cookbooks. I don't think they should not be in electronic form. They're not meant to be "e-"'d. I came across this cookbook called Thug Kitchen. I love the concept of the book. It covers the basics of a vegetarian kitchen and offers suggestions and other flavor combinations to most of their recipes. I didn't get it yet.

After watching the movie, I was simply starving (note: I only had a piece of cornbread and coffee for breakfast). I decided to make baked chicken wings. I haven't made and had these for a while so I got a kilogram of wingettes from Lenard's (after a trip to Ikea, of course).




This is a very basic and simple recipe - you can probably do this in your sleep.

Spread the wingettes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or al foil. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Put any additional seasoning you want. I used a taco seasoning (that my aunt sent me from Trader Joes. I love that stuff!). It has cumin, paprika, sugar, oregano and cayenne pepper to name a few. Bake the chicken at 220C for 20-30 minutes, turning the chicken pieces halfway through cooking. Now, I cheated on the sauce. Just use any store bought bbq sauce (I used a soy honey marinade sauce) and heat it up on the microwave for 30 seconds. I eyeballed the amount to make sure that I have enough to cover the wings. Put the sauce in a bigger bowl and toss the wingettes into the sauce. You want to cover the wings, not smother them with sauce. All in all it was around 2-3 tablespoons for a kg of wingettes. Use more if you want to. Best eaten with fingers! Smack~

Comments