My Sunday Best: Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Japanese Pumpkin and Blue Cheese Dressing

I have some blue cheese leftover from making the sauce along with my steak the other night and it's not going to go to waste today. I made a very simple and tasty blue cheese dressing along with my raw kale salad. I wasn't expecting the combination to work actually but it did! The leftovers are happily packed for my lunch tomorrow.

Raw kale is not one of my favorite vegetable even if I know that it's one of the healthiest. It's bitter and leathery, I'm not really sure what's good about the taste. I just blitz this up with berries or bananas and I'll have a meal in a glass. Having said all that, I'm still willing to give it a try.

I call this recipe a success. My tummy was thankful for it too!

Here's the recipe.







Ingredients

1 small Japanese pumpkin - cut into bite sized pieces
2 bunches of kale - leaves removed from their stems, washed and thinly sliced
3 small zucchinis - sliced into coins
1 medium sized onion - sliced into half moons
1 small red pepper - quartered and sliced thinly
olive oil for drizzling and roasting

For the dressing:
100g blue cheese
2 tbsps creme fraiche - optional - you can use yogurt, buttermilk or sour cream
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey but I used a very special pomegranate pear with port culinary sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Steps:

First step, preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast the pumpkin first for 20 mins. Set aside. Next, roast the remaining vegetables for 10 minutes. Set aside in the same bowl. The bowl should have the kale, pumpkin and vegetables now.

Next up, make the dressing. Just mix everything together to a nice loose consistency.

Toss the salad with some dressing, making sure that all the leaves are coated. Serve up!

Comments