Love the Vibe @ Hammer and Tong, Brunswick St, Fitzroy

I think almost all of Melbourne has been to Hammer and Tong. For the first timer, the menu can be a bit much but there's always room to be adventurous. For example, try this on for size -

salt & pepper french toast, fried duck egg, maple,
sausage crumble, duck egg & salted caramel ice cream/19




It's interesting and contradicting. There are things that I like about the dish like the sausage crumble and an aioli underneath the french toast. The french toast was not the soggy or spongy type you used to get in other cafes. This one was cooked well and almost meaty. It has a firm cake-y texture to it. It was a very full-on meal on a plate. I can't say that I particularly enjoyed it. I'm not sure where or how the salted caramel ice cream fits in to all that! Mixing it in might be the way to go but I kept it to the side. The rest of the dish worked well - from the beautifully fried duck egg, french toast, sausage crumble, microgreens and fresh basil leaves. You get a taste of sharp, savory then velvety and hearty. Inventive and bordering eccentric but worth try. No wonder Melburnians flock to this place. Looking forward to my next visit!

Hammer & Tong on Urbanspoon

Comments