Vive La France @ Prix Fixe, Alfred Pl, Melbourne CBD

Here's another review of Prix Fixe. Honestly, my friends and I just can't get enough of this place and sure enough, this place never fails to surprise us every single time.


I can't say this often enough - I love French food. Though I can cook some myself and I love the basics - French onion soup, steak frites, boeuf bourguignon, tart tatin but Prix Fixe gives me a reason to get out of my comfort zone and try something new. Like this one here.

Let's begin with this - what you're seeing here was their interpretation of a french onion soup. Yes. Who would've thought that you can deconstruct a soup and place it in a choux pastry? I think it's genius! And oh! That bechamel was to die for. Pair that with the caramelised onions and we got a winner.

More after the jump


Prix Fixe on Urbanspoon









Before the soup, P and I had 2 coffin bay oysters each with our cocktails. It was briney and fresh with that warm earthy flavor at the end. It's a nice start to the meal but in my opinion, if you're not a fan, this can be skipped.








Next, the entree. How can I explain this? It's basically poached egg in red wine (which I learned is actually a Roman dish), escargot, mushrooms and nettle sauce. It had a really clean and honest taste. Of course, there's butter but what stood out for me was the escargot. Very nice indeed.









Then came the favorite dish of the night - Duck a l'orange. That duck leg/breast cigar was just divine! I didn't care so much for the witlof but it did give the veggie a sweet side because it's so bitter when it's fresh.










The main also came with Paris mash - creamy and smooth - it's a potato smoothie.














So here's another additional dish - Truffle Camembert - who is going to say no to that? Really nice but I think we need more truffles over here!










Lastly, because the chef is the queen of desserts, this was a tribute to Marie Antoinette - passionfruit chocolate cake with a vanilla sorbet on top with gold dust. How grand! Honestly, I do not like passionfruit when it's reconstituted or in ice cream or in any other treat. I like it fresh with the pulp and seeds but I can forgive this one just because it had chocolate. I loved it, my friends didn't. I like the chocolate cake on the outside and that passionfruit cream on the inside was custardy and smooth. It's like chocolate passionfruit mousse. Divine!

Til next time!

Comments