Truffled Coddled Eggs, Macarons and Filtered Coffee @ Chez Dre, South Melbourne

Brunch is supposed to be simple. You know, the usual fried stuff or omelette or that bacon and egg muffin you always get from the shops. But not here at Chez Dre. This place is always a step above the rest and it's trying out new things - like coddled eggs and filtered coffee.

For me, the truffled coddled eggs were successful but a friend didn't care for it too much. I always like my eggs custard-style - poached or soft boiled and really runny in the center. It's not for everyone, I know, but I just can't bear overcooked eggs. It's just sad whichever way you look at it. Maybe only in an egg salad should it be forgiven. The rest of the dish is a pass - it had thin slices of prosciutto, delicate salad leaves, parmesan cheese all underneath a toasted piece of sourdough bread.

Chez Dré on UrbanspoonI forgot to take a picture of the filtered coffee but don't make the same mistake I made - skip this and go for REAL coffee. That's my opinion. Yes, I grew up with instant coffee and yes, I had my share of filtered coffee. That's why I moved to Australia - Melbourne in particular. It has turned me into a coffee snob.

Macarons are just after the jump.



Here's a picture of the four macarons that I selected. Salted caramel (dark brown) and the green tea kalamazi (dark green) were the best of the lot in terms of taste and flavor combination.














The apple cinnamon (light brown, second one) - I'm quite undecided. I like the cinnamon part but there was a real piece of apple inside the macaron that was a surprise for me. It's trying to be an apple tart and an unsuccessful one at that. The last one - lime and basil - used to be my favorite but it was all sorts of wrong today - the first layer was crunchy (yuck), too much air and space after that, then the next layer was very tough - like an old cookie. Nothing was good about it - someone had a really bad day in the kitchen.

Comments