My Sunday Best: Apple and Pear Cake

There's not really much to tell about this recipe except that I love it. I've made this several times already and it is very easy to remember. It is such a moist and satisfying cake that it's perfect to have this warm (or cold) with coffee or tea. I have to just stop myself from cutting slice after slice. I've decided to stash this in the fridge and out of sight.

Apart from that, nothing much as happened today and I like days like this. Just lounging around, catching up on tv series - Fargo, Vikings and Penny Dreadful are my favorites this season. It just feels sad that another work week is about to start a few hours from now. And look at how dreary it is outside!

Back to the recipe. As I've made this several times, I've never tried it before with pears. I'm thinking maybe next time I would use hazelnut or almond meal in place of the flour and see what will happen to it. I think it will turn out to be a wonderful thing.



Apple and Pear Cake
Adapted from Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Marie Helene Apple Cake

3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsps pumpkin spice (optional but very good, cinnamon is ok too)
2 medium sized apples, peeled and cored
1 medium sized pear, peeled and cored
2 large eggs
3/4 cups caster sugar
1 stick or 113 grams melted unsalted butter, cooled slightly

Steps:

Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a 9 inch round pan with baking paper. I greased the bottom and sides first.
Combine the flour, baking powder and pumpkin spice together. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until slightly foamy. Alternately add the flour then butter together. You will have a slightly thick batter. Fold in the apples and pears.
Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Use a thin knife of cake tester to check if it comes out clean. Don't worry if you see moisture on the knife or cake tester. That's probably from the fruit.

Comments