Beef Tray @ Nieuw Amsterdam, Melbourne CBD

A few months back, I really wasn't impressed by Nieuw Amsterdam. Although the service was good and the staff was nice, I wasn't so crazy about the food. Sure, the vibe was so there and hip but that's just about it for me. Until today. P and I met up for lunch because I wanted to try the reuben sandwich. In the last minute, I changed my mind and ordered the beef tray ($22). I did not regret it.

Nieuw Amsterdam on UrbanspoonFirst, let's talk about the tray. There were a few elements here, plain and simple but all done very well. Take the mashed potato for example - smooth, creamy, you can almost drink it. It's like a thick potato milkshake. No faults there.



The slaw as OK. If you like the vinegar based vegetable, you'll enjoy this one. The tang was just right and not too sharp. The fresh chili added that extra edge but it didn't take it off the tangent of being an American slaw. It's not watery - thank goodness and it was eaten down well with the other elements of the dish.

The bread. Hmm, I'm not exactly sure how to say this but the bread was like a cross between brioche and sourdough. The inside was buttery and yellowish but there was the chewiness of the sourdough. It paired well with the salty beefy out-of-this-world brisket.

Now, the brisket. Oh-so-tender, oh-so-meaty. I can't see any fault around this dish. The salty and slightly charred outer layer just captured my heart.

We're coming back again.

 

Comments