An Inspired Variation: Browned Butter Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

I think I never came across a more likeable version of a blueberry muffin. Most ones I've tried, even the cafe made ones, are tough as nails and just not enough blueberry punch. After planning out my menu for the weekend and week, I decided that I want to make blueberry muffins - REALLY GOOD blueberry muffins. There are so many recipes out there these days, it is so difficult to choose one that's decent. You can always trust a few blogs out there and sometimes you can come across a recipe that is just the ticket.




A few nights ago, I've been reading about beurre noisette or browned butter. I've made this before but it was ages ago. I remember how warming the smell and color of the butter is - like a clear elixir waiting to be spooned on anything. Beurre noisette hollandaise with baked fish or scallops is just amazing and I haven't had that in a while too. So, of course, when I found out that you can actually put this into any sweet treat as well, I'm all for it. And I do have to admit that browned butter added another depth of flavor to the blueberry muffins. If you haven't tried it, you haven't lived.

So here we go.




Browned Butter Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Adapted from Completely Delicious - Blueberry Muffins

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup browned butter
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar - I used demarera
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup frozen blueberries - I used Elgin's Organic Frozen Blueberries

Steps:
Preheat the oven to 200C. Prepare a 12 hole muffin tin and line with muffin cups.
Mix all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Mix the wet ingredients. Set aside.
Combine the wet to the dry and stir 10 times, no more than that. Fold in the blueberries.
Scoop into the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let the muffins cool completely on a cooling rack.

Comments