The Breakfast Warrior: Buckwheat Pancakes

I only make pancakes for breakfast if I have a crowd of hungry people. Now that I live by myself, I hardly make pancakes anymore. I also think that pancakes for breakfast is a special treat. I guess it's because I feel that mixing the batter, then ladling the mixture in small batches to cook in a lightly buttered skillet is actually my definition of labor-intensive in the mornings. BUT. I'm willing to make an exception for these buckwheat pancakes.

I've first read about these from an article that featured different kinds of flours - from the unhealthy to the healthiest. I also have decided to cut down on white flour and sugar (which is very tough, believe me!) so I'm trying to switch from white all purpose flour to whole grain flour or quinoa flour or...for today...buckwheat flour.



First off, let me say that I really really like these pancakes. I quite enjoy the nutty flavor and these are quite light too. I was able to have 3 pieces instead of just my usual 2. While cooking them, they puffed up nicely. I thought they would taste wheaty or soba-like but none of that.

So here's the recipe.

Buckwheat Pancakes
Adapted from Cookie+Kate - original recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin spice (optional but very good)
1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Steps:
Mix all the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet to dry ingredients.
Melt some butter in a skillet on medium-low heat. I used a 1/4 cup to scoop out the batter. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once the pancakes start stacking up, I would heat the oven at 90-100C and place the plate with pancakes in the oven to keep them warm.


I had this with some cut up strawberries, bananas, smooth peanut butter and maple syrup. Yum!



Comments