Quick and Healthy: Ginger and Tomato Pasta

I can't actually say that I'm a collector of cookbooks. I don't think I have a lot (or enough) to fill up my shelf. Right now, I don't have the space but I do hope someday that I can have a cookbook library. It is quite difficult now because books are starting to turn digital but I guess I can have a digital cookbook library.
When I was still living in Manila, I have a fair number of cookbooks - some on shelves and some in boxes that I've shipped home. So whenever I have family coming over, I always tell them to bring 2 or 3 here on every trip. Sis came over last Easter and she brought the River Cafe Cook Book Green with her. I'm surprised that I still have this book. I remember that I got it from a book sale. But what I like the most about the cookbook now is that it's packed with recipes that are seasonal and most of them are vegetarian.

One of the recipes in the cookbook is something called spaghetti con zenzero e pomodoro - that's ginger and tomato pasta to us English speaking beings. It has a few ingredients on it - lemon juice, dried chili flakes, marjoram. I just wanted a simple warming pasta dish and of course, with what's in my pantry. Taste-wise, I like the punch of the ginger and it was quite delicate too. I kept it simple because I want the ginger flavour to come through. If you prefer, you can reduce the amount of fresh ginger and add half an onion.

So here's my easy version:

250g cooked pasta - spaghetti is best or any thin long pasta
1 can diced tomatoes 
4 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon dried basil
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese to serve

Cook the pasta and set aside. Also reserve about 1 cup of the starchy water. Lightly fry the ginger in some olive oil. Add the diced tomatoes and boil lightly to a thick consistency. Add the dried basil and simmer. Follow with salt and pepper. Toss in the pasta and starchy water bit by bit until you reach a silky consistency. Plate up with some grated parmesan and extra black pepper. Yum!

Comments