My Test Kitchen: Quinoa, Almond and Date Porridge

It's Test Kitchen time!!!

Out of sheer coincidence, I wanted to try and make some quinoa porridge for breakfast from The Healthy Chef - Teresa Cutter. Her version must also be nice but then, I flipped through my newly arrived Donna Hay magazine and there was an entire feature on warm porridge. How can I resist. Also, I happened to have all the ingredients in my pantry. I love it that my pantry is well stocked. I'm always ready to cook or bake something. Sometimes there will be a few ingredients missing but in general, I always have most of them handy.

Suffice to say, I like this porridge. It worked well with maple syrup and dates. After I made it and had a bowl, what's leftover in the pot soaked up all the almond milk. Sigh. I guess I have to warm it up the next day and just pour some almond milk into it. Not really difficult to prepare in the mornings too.





So here's the recipe.

Quinoa, Almond and Date Porridge
From Donna Hay Magazine - Issue 75 - Jun/Jul 2014

3 cups almond milk
1 cup quinoa
a couple of sliced dates to serve
maple syrup to serve

Cook the quinoa together with the almond milk over medium heat until the quinoa is soft and almost all the almond milk is absorbed. You'll know its cooked when the quinoa is mushy and you can see the seed part is translucent. It will smell quite nutty and a bit wheaty. Drizzle a bit of maple syrup on top with sliced dates. Serve warm and enjoy!

Comments