A New Favorite: Turmeric Milk

I get cold easily and everyone who knows me is aware of how much I hate feeling cold. Cold hands, cold feet, cold ears, cold nose. Argh! My apartment is great during the summer because it can keep the cold in but when autumn or winter comes around, I turn on the heater and bundle up.

I'm looking for a warming drink to have during the evenings that is not limited to tea. Don't get me wrong - I love my lemongrass and ginger loose leaf tea but I also like variety. My pilates instructor recently recommended Mark's Daily Apple for me to read and of course, which page did I first hop on to? Yes, the recipes section. Flipping through the pages, I found this Creamy Turmeric Tea. Later on, I found several other recipes all adapting this milk tea. I thought I should try it since I've got all the ingredients anyway. What's the worst that can happen? I just chuck it in the bin. But believe me, this is a really nice milk tea.




Heat up 1 cup of almond milk in the microwave (I did mine for about 1 min and 30 secs). In a cup, mix 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp of ground ginger, 1/2 tsp of turmeric (I added a touch more) and 1 tsp of brown sugar (others use honey). Slowly pour the warmed almond milk into the cup and stir slowly otherwise, it will splash around too much! Some people added cayenne pepper or black pepper but I added a small pinch of pimient d' espelette or espelette powder on top. I love this stuff!

So what does it taste like you ask? Well...it's earthy and warming. It's quite soothing and it was not yucky at all. It didn't smell or taste the turmeric so much (think curry). It wasn't savory because of the brown sugar, of course. And the heat from the pepper added a really nice touch. It's not as rich as if you used whole milk I'm sure but there's none of that odd raw taste. It's a winner!

Comments