Top Class City Brunch @ Cumulus Inc., Flinders Lane, Melbourne CBD

Cumulus Inc is definitely one of the finest establishments in #Melbourne CBD. It is not really hidden, now that it's so popular and for good reason. I'm never disappointed every time I come to Cumulus for dinner and I love their salads but this is the first time I came for brunch.

Sis commented that she didn't know what to choose because the menu was so short and she had her doubts that the food might not taste good. It took her a while to decide, so I just ordered for her. But before that, let me tell you what I ordered first.


I had the Mushrooms on toast with parmesan with 65/65 egg ($16). I had my share of mushrooms on toast before and this is the best of all of them. Let me start with the toast. Usually, it is just some sourdough bread, sometimes not even toasted, and with a whole lot of damp mushrooms dumped on top. But this one, some thought had been given into constructing this. The toast had a crunchy, buttery, garlicky flavour. Then let's talk about the mushrooms. Generous, huge chunks sauteéd on top and mixed with a potent, meaty mushroom sauce. It's not just mushrooms cooked in their own juices. This is something else. And the 65/65 egg is just superbly cooked. The yolk was runny and the whites were fluffy and cloudy. I was in mushroom toast heaven!

Next, let's talk about the what Sis had for brunch...

Cumulus Inc. on Urbanspoon





Smoked salmon, buckwheat waffle, horseradish & sorrel ($17) - I only had one bite of this dish because Sis ate it all so quickly. I was only half way through my food and she was almost done. It was that good. Based on the one bite that I had - I loved the buckwheat waffle. It was so light and crunchy, it felt like a waffle cookie to me. The salmon and other elements just complemented the dish but the star was the waffle. It was just a clean and creative way of plating up quality ingredients. It was very well done.


Madeleines with lemon curd ($2.50) each. I don't think brunch here would be complete without having one of these. I'm a lemon curd fan and this was just a mouthful of crumbly goodness. The lemon curd was creamy and tart against the warm pillowy biscuit/cake. I.WANT.MORE.


Comments