ORGNL: Roast Duck with Red Curry, Peanut and Harissa Sauce

Ok. This is not as weird as it sounds. As a matter of fact, it tastes really good. I got this recipe from my aunt. The original recipe is called Rama Chicken, which of course chicken breasts cooked in red curry and peanut butter sauce. I googled this and there were a number of combinations - some added lemongrass, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, ginger - mostly South East Asian flavors. I was seriously hooked because the recipe was wickedly simple and oh-so-tasty. Plus, everything came out of a can. I know that people might wince but hey, not everyone is a chef. I don't make my own curry or peanut butter by choice. Whenever I can take short-cuts, I will, as long as the quality and taste are not compromised. And this dish is a winner. Here's why.





What I like about this dish: Tasty. Easy. Quick. I waited for the brown rice to cook for 30mins and this dish was done in 15mins - tops. The harissa here is the main surprise. I wasn't expecting it to work but it did! I like the slight kick without actually stealing the red curry and peanut flavours away from the dish.

What I would do for next time: add more veggies. Can use coconut milk but I prefer to not use this from time to time.


Just look at the ingredients list:

1 tablespoon peanut butter - chunky is my choice but I also used natural peanut butter, it worked well
2 tablespoons red curry paste - nope. Not homemade.
1 teaspoon harissa paste - add more if you like it hot!
2 cups hot water
half chopped roasted duck - I got this from Pacific House ($15.50)
2 handfuls spinach leaves, washed
5 fresh mushrooms, stems removed and torn into 3-4 pieces

First, prepare the sauce. mix everything together with just 1 cup of the hot water. Heat (medium high) up the roasted duck. Mine came with a good amount of meat juices, that's the best part. I fry this lightly in a non-stick skillet - no oil needed here because the duck has a good amount of fat. Add the sauce and the water with the duck. I kept on adding more hot water if it gets too dry. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. The duck is cooked already, we are just adding a sauce to this. Then add the mushrooms and spinach leaves until just wilted.

What a perfect end to the week! Time to relax and enjoy the weekend :)


Comments