ORGNL: Baked Prawns with Garlic Basil Cream

Every time my sister comes to visit, she puts in a request for this dish - baked prawns with garlic basil cream. The history behind the recipe of this dish was purely by the miracle of what was available in our fridge back in Manila.

On a hot summer day, someone bought a box of cream (yes, we still buy cream in tetra juice-like packs!). The cream was so thick, you can eat it like ice cream. It was full fat too - we don't do skim or 99% fat free stuff in Manila, by the way. I also loved using dried herbs that time. I started watching the Food Network and loved experimenting with food. It didn't always come out right but sometimes, they worked like this particular one. I simply mixed the cream with minced garlic and dried herbs - I believe the original recipe was dried basil. One of my cousins loved the cream so much that when some was left over, he licked the spoon and the bowl clean, thinking it was cheese!





For the ingredients tonight, I used 3 tablespoons of full fat cream, 4 cloves of minced garlic and 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. I butterflied the prawns, removing the veins. It was a bit difficult for me to use my knife to cut through the shell, so I used kitchen shears to do this, then slice through the prawn meat with a paring knife. Easy!


I baked this in the oven at 180C for 8-10 minutes and dinner was served! Sis enjoyed this immensely and I can understand why. The prawns were succulent and creamy, the garlic basil cream was just right. I served this with some roast potatoes and zucchini.

Comments