Market Day: Organic Angels Mixed Box

You are looking at my food for the next 2 weeks. It all started after I attended Sandra Dubs' Wholefoods class at CAE last year. I learned so much and I was inspired to update my pantry with healthy stuff. It was tough to say goodbye to pasta and chips (*sniff). I'm at the stage (and age) where I believe that I need to change my diet, otherwise, my health (and weight) will go downhill. So here goes.

I do have good intentions here but there are a few problems. First off, even though I love to cook, sometimes I do get lazy and don't feel like grocery shopping so I succumb to frozen meals. Back then organic produce is not readily available in my area (but thank goodness that The Common Good is now open and only a few blocks away from me!). I'm also looking for variety. Another factor is that it should not break the budget. My goal is to at least have 2-3 types of veggies and 2 fruits in my daily meals and believe me, it's not easy.

Last year, I found a really good solution - Organic Angels (note: this is not an advertisement). Here are the reasons why I think it is a genius idea.


  1. I'm lazy and sometimes don't like to shop or carry shopping bags
  2. I'm on a budget and a small veggie and fruit box from Organic Angels costs ($43.50)
  3. Produce in the box depends on the season and I think this way of eating is best
  4. The contents in the box last me 2 weeks which means - 2 weeks of not carrying heavy bags of stuff from the grocery and I only have to worry about buying meat (which should be organic or free range)
  5. I add stuff that I like - most of the time an additional veggie or 2 fruits like melon and blueberries
  6. I can choose what I don't like and they replace it with another veggie or fruit that I like
  7. VARIETY - you can see in the box that there are loads of different fruits and veggies in there - for this week's box, there are green beans, heirloom cherry tomatoes and green pears (that you don't see because they're buried under all the other good stuff). My favorite for this week are the PLUMS. They have this pinkish skin but they actually have yellow flesh. I had one after dinner and it was so sweet!
  8. They delivery to me every 2 weeks. Even if I forget to place my order, I have a standard order that will be placed automatically (because I'm a VIP member). It's fantastic!

Comments