At Another's Table: Cousin J's Salmon Crisps and a Beef Steak Broiler Recipe

Welcome to the first edition of At Another's Table, where I'll feature recipes from meals made by families and friends for gatherings or occasions.

This recipe is too unique, I have to blog about it. My cousin and his wife recently moved to a new, bigger 2 bedroom apartment and there is cause to celebrate. Sis' last night, we stayed over at their place. Granted we went to Highpoint's La Porchetta for dinner just as a send-off for sis. On Friday night however, it was a different story. My cuz had some slices of thin beef rump and it was sort of my turn to cook. I enjoy using their "turbo broiler". It reminded me of my childhood days, when my auntie used to bake cookies and, well, almost anything in it. This one was far simpler to use and the temperature was more even. It didn't take long for it to warm up either. All in all, I thought it's a fantastic kitchen equipment in place of an oven.







For their meal the next day, my cousin's wife, let's call her J, made salmon crisps. Let me explain how this works. Basically, these are thin salmon belly scraps with sometimes bones still intact. Usually, we use this for fish stock or just to add flavour to a seafood dish but she created a special snack out of this. She researched a dry rub from Food.com for salmon and used this to rub onto the salmon belly scraps. Turn the turbo on, somewhere between 200-225C for 20 minutes. Then another 20 minutes on the other side. The result was a really crispy salmony snack. The dry rub for me tasted a lot like jerky, except that the jerky mixture was usually spicier and sweeter. You can get cousin J's dry rub recipe here, except she omitted the dry mustard.


Also that night, I made beef rump with herbed butter sauce for dinner. It wasn't anything complicated. Set your broiler to 250C. The rump steaks were just less than 1/2 inch thick, which were perfect for broiling. Total time was just 10 minutes for a nice medium rare. I made a dried herb butter mixture. It's just 50g of softened butter, mixed with a tablespoon of mixed dried herbs and 2 tsp of worcestershire sauce. Dab a few pieces of the softened butter on top of the steak then cook until done to your liking. It was yum! I would add minced garlic next time. Cousin and his wife loved the herb butter sauce mixed with the beef juices. A definite repeat. My cousin posted a picture of this on his instagram account.

Comments