An Inspired Variation: Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Fudgy Classic Brownies

I enjoy chocolate. Sorry for saying this - I'm not an extreme chocoholic but I do love a bite or so of the lovely luscious treat. When this happens, I turn to my baking mentor - Dorie Greenspan. I've made her classic brownie recipe so many times, I've lost count. Every single time I make this and distribute to friends and officemates, they all loved it and kept asking for the recipe. Depending on how nice they are to me, sometimes I tell them, sometimes I don't.

Today's been quite busy for me. Coming from my bi-monthly massage therapy session, I figured I needed a chocolate fix. I stopped by The Essential Ingredient at the Prahran Market and got a 1 kg bag of Lindt Dark Bittersweet Chocolate. I felt so happy afterwards, me with a bag of sweet smelling chocolate morsels, waiting to be melted and transformed into something magnificent - BROWNIES.

I changed the following from Dorie's original classic brownie recipe.



  • In her original recipe, she used 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate then 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. I like my brownies very dark, so I used 6 ounces of all bittersweet chocolate. 
  • I used 1/2 tsp of sea salt because I like the salty taste more. It has that hint of salted caramel-like taste, well, without actual caramel. 
  • I undercooked the batch slightly because I like the fudgy texture.

Another major change that I did was in the method. I just mixed everything in a bowl. Dorie was very detailed and had a lot of steps outlined. I love her book because it seems like she's telling a story as to how to make it and not simply write out steps like a cross-fit trainer. I first combined the 6 ounces unmelted chocolate and 5 tablespoons butter in a microwaveable bowl. Nuke it for 20 seconds - at least 3 times until everything is almost melted. Then add the 3/4 cup sugar, followed by 2 eggs, then the spices - I added 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp of instant espresso powder (I used Robert Trimms) and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Lastly, add 1/3 cup of plain flour. Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil and grease the foil. Place this on a baking tray. Place this in a preheated oven at 160C. Bake for 28 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before lifting the brownies out from the pan (otherwise, it will fall apart!). Slice and enjoy!



Comments