A Roast Chicken Sandwich With Homemade Pesto and Heirloom Tomatoes

You know what's the best part of my day? Dinner. Knowing that I have leftover roast chicken to fiddle with just gives me that anticipation to pack up my stuff and leave for home today. After I told my sister that I made a huge roast chicken on Sunday, her first question was - can you eat it all? Well, not in one go, of course! But I have some plans with what to do with leftovers. And here's one - a sandwich. OK - this is very typical but sometimes simple is best.





Now, repeat after me - I.LOVE.CARBS. But whenever I can, I stay away from it. I'm not really on a particular diet. I often get to eat what I like but I do serious portion control. I try not to overeat and if I do, I make sure that it should be fruits or raw veggies. I'm quite a good girl when it comes to choosing what I eat but sometimes, I give in. And when I do, it gets crazy.


I think buying bread for the weekend is a luxury. I rarely have bread at home - yes, even when I make myself breakfast on the weekends. But today is special because I have leftover roast chicken from last weekend. Along with this, my homemade pesto and some heirloom tomatoes from the grocery. This is really a simple meal and I love a toasted sandwich. When I moved to my new apartment, it was easy for me to choose between a toaster and a sandwich press. A toaster is, well, a toaster. But with a sandwich press, there are endless possibilities. I can even make a small pizza with this thing!

I don't mean to brag but I made a damn fine sandwich! All credit goes to the simple ingredients - my yummy pesto, the melting mozzarella was oh-so-luscious, tender and flavourful roast chicken breast, sweet and tangy heirloom tomatoes. The best thing about this was that the ciabatta roll was able to soak up all the lovely pesto sauce, the juices from the heirloom tomatoes and roast chicken. It was perfection.




Comments