Earth Day Veggie Lunch @ Yong Green Food, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy

Not a lot of people can enjoy just having vegetables for lunch. Most people I know think that they won't feel full after just having a salad without meat for a meal. After switching to eating organic fruits and vegetables, I have to admit that sometimes I do miss eating red meat so I just do it every other week just to satisfy my cravings.

Coming to Yong Green Food was actually Sis' suggestion. She's quite curious about what type of food can be served raw and vegetarian - and most importantly, how her tummy would feel afterwards. So after doing some research, we came here today for lunch. The interior feels very natural and it had a "zen" sort of smell. Pleasant but it didn't feel like a restaurant.

The first item that we ordered was the Quinoa Fritters ($12.50). These are fried organic quinoa patties with veggies and spices with coconut chilli sauce. We both loved this. The quinoa was spiced with curry and corn bits. I also loved the coconut chilli sauce. It was filling and satisfying. The patty held its shape but once you touched it with a fork, it just falls apart. Without the sauce, it was still tasty. Thumbs up.

Sis opted for a more adventurous option while I settled for a more familiar one for our mains.

Yong Green Food on Urbanspoon






Rawsagne ($18) - Layered zucchini with mushroom, avocado, cashew cream and raw walnut bolognaise.

We both loved this. My only complaint was that I wished it was warm. Taste-wise, it was nice and fresh, almost like eating a lasagna in salad form. It was tasty too. It wasn't swimming in red or white sauce. I liked the cashew cream and walnut bolognaise. Maybe I should experiment with this one day - with real pasta.



Tofu Katsu ($18.5) - Fried tofu patty made with shitake, arame and veggies, and battered with organic quinoa. Served with biodynamic brown rice, coleslaw, housemade katsu sauce and pickle.

This was the lesser dish compared to the rawsagne but it wasn't bad. I just didn't like that it was smothered with a lot of sauce. I wanted to know what the white sauce was and I hoped that it was made with yogurt. The coleslaw tasted a lot like ordinary slaw but you can actually see the cabbage and carrots put into it. This was made with a lot of thought because of the way the dish was presented. The katsu itself was also tasty and I can see peas, carrots, corn and kelp in it. It tasted a lot like falafel too but with a Japanese twist. It was nice.

For drinks, I had the Quince Honey Tea ($5) while Sis had the Immune Booster ($8.5 for medium).





Comments