My Test Kitchen: Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

This recipe is from the Joy of Baking. The last recipe I made from this website was the Chocolate Chip Muffins years ago (and it did not disappoint!). I've also read a few blogs that have tried this coffee cake and most have been successful. I followed the exact recipe except I did not add lemon zest.














It will take some time to create the different components of this cake (streusel, cream cheese filling and the cake) but the assembly job was quick and easy. I have yet to try this with other fresh berries or preserves but for now, the blackberries here are just divine! I was expecting it to be a very sweet cake but it wasn't. The picture below was before I sprinkled on the streusel, which I almost forgot btw! That would be a waste because true to every coffee cake ever made, the streusel is the best part.


Baking it in a low temp oven will stop the streusel from burning and it cooks the cream cheese and cake layer through.


After it's baked and cooled, I sliced up the cake and wrapped each slice in foil. These are neatly packed and placed happily in the freezer for later. I read that they should last for 2 months...I don't think they'll last that long!

Comments