The Breakfast Warrior: Creamy Green Eggs

The highlight of my weekends is always the breakfasts. I've stayed away from brunch places these days and started my make-my-own breakfast routine. It's hard but possible. A must here is that I had to drag myself out of bed and make myself a cup of coffee, then take a few sips, wait until it jump-starts my system and away I go.

On Saturday night, I made a fresh batch of my signature pesto - with fresh basil, pine nuts, anchovies, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, grated parmesan and olive oil. Measurements here are actually not important, only that you have to keep in mind that anchovies and sun dried tomatoes are salty so don't put too much into the mixture. Taste as you go. I've made this several times in different quantities and measurements - the result was always the same - it is made to be eaten with carbs...I mean....pasta or bread.


Back to breakfast this morning. I combined all of my favorite things into one dish with creamy eggs. I learned how to make creamy eggs precisely 6 years ago in culinary school. Never - EVER - overcook eggs. Always slightly under cook them because they will continue to cook even as you serve them and they will dry out. So if you want to end up with rubbery eggs, go for it.

Growing up in an Asian household, we were always served over cooked eggs. When I say over cooked, I mean REALLY OVER cooked. The yolk was so tough, it literally made a "thunk" sound when I accidentally dropped a piece of it on my plate with some bread. It wasn't pleasant but we ate it and grew up with it. But now I know that I can cook my eggs in the exact way that I like it - green and creamy. The secret to this is in the cooking process. Medium heat and light folds until it curdles. You should be stopping the eggs from settling on the pan and every time it happens, you interrupt it. The result is smooth silky eggs. Another thing is to eat it straight away. I took a few photos and the eggs cooked even more - they were still ok but next time, no more fooling around.



Comments