Light Dinner + Comedy Night @ Nieuw Amsterdam, Hardware Street, Melbourne CBD

When a friend suddenly got sick for dinner and comedy night, I had to call the troops. Fortunately, my cousin's wife was free for the night so my cousin allowed me to borrow her. That being said, we went for dinner at Nieuw Amsterdam then to Henson's Puppet Up! which was really loads of fun. Note: if you're not a fan of puppets, you probably won't like this. I actually liked The Muppets movie (the one with Amy Adams) so I liked this thoroughly. It was purely improv and the ideas that came out from the puppeteers and the audience were hilarious! I'm talking about grunting hotdogs and ice cream loving aliens - IT.WAS.FUN.

Now, on with the food. Food obviously came first before the show and we were the first to arrive. The choices were light and easy - we had the broccoli and goat's cheese profiteroles ($13), the rabbit meatballs ($19.50) and the spiced lamb leg ($22.50). I also had a cocktail called Bronx ($19) which had orange and gin. It was quite strong, so it's not for the faint of heart. After a tough week at work, I deserved one stiff drink.

Nieuw Amsterdam on Urbanspoon




The broccoli and goat's cheese profiteroles were really light and the goat's cheese was not overwhelming. Even if you're not a cheese lover, you'll like this. The broccoli sauce underneath the puffs was really tasty - it was like a thick, creamy broccoli soup. I liked it.

The rabbit meatballs came with egg fettucine noodles. I liked the noodles but I found the meatballs too tough and the sauce too sweet.

Lastly, the spiced lamb leg was just ok. The meat wasn't very tender but I liked the accompaniments with it - roasted cauliflower and the puree with the pomegranate seeds went well with the lamb. It was unfortunate that I struggled with the lamb loin, otherwise the combination was nice.




Comments