A Sweet Treat: Banana Cinnamon Sugar Loaf Cake


I struggled this weekend to decide on what to bake. Looking in my fridge, it is loaded with fresh fruits - apples, pears, oranges, plums, blueberries and some really ripe bananas.

Banana bread sounds so dull to me these days that I steer clear away from it. I'm a smoothie girl too so I make quite a bit of that with frozen bananas. But these days, I've gone down to only 1 smoothie a week so you can imagine that I have plenty of frozen bananas stocked up. I'm also on a cinnamon craze, so why not combine the two? There's always a saying: When life hands you overripe bananas, make banana bread! Or something like that...

Now this is the ultimate banana loaf cake. I loved it. And you know what's missing in this picture? BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE. Mmmm...






I actually know some people who don't like the texture of bananas but once you make it into a cake or muffin or cookies - it will disappear in seconds. 

This version of banana loaf is not your average one though. It's more of a dressy, centre-piece type of loaf cake. This lifts up the humble banana bread into something special. Now your everyday banana bread has turned into dessert - not just for breakfast or a snack.

This recipe is taken from Lovin' From the Oven. Instead of just white sugar, I mixed brown and white together. The result seriously looked like it came out from a local bakery and my kitchen was in cinnamon heaven. Whoever thought of combining banana and cinnamon together was a genius! Texture-wise, it's how a banana bread should be - a cross between dense and fluffy and moist. The cinnamon sugar in between the batter and on top gave it a nice crunch.

To think that up until 2 years ago, I'm not a fan of cinnamon. What made me change my mind was a Snickerdoodles recipe from Saveur: The New Comfort Food cookbook. I've made it so many times and had so many requests from friends to make and remake it. It tasted amazing too and I never looked back ever since.

I will surely be making this banana loaf cake again. Perhaps for a special occasion...or when there's overripe bananas.

Comments