Modern Croatian @ Brutale, 18 Corrs Lane, Melbourne CBD

I haven't reviewed a restaurant in a while and I think it's about time, don't you?

I gathered up a few of my work colleagues and off we went. One of them came from a Croatian family and was more than happy to introduce us to some of the food on the menu.

To start off, we had some rakjia. It came in what looked like a perfume bottle. I thought it tasted a bit like really tasty and smooth tequila. Later that night, we also had a raspberry and plum flavored rakjia. I liked the raspberry one the best.

We had 4 small plates and 2 large ones:

Riba Tost - Toasted bread with smoked fish mousse, pickled white anchovies, onions & chives
This one was my favorite. Smooth smoked fish spread with pickled white anchovies. It's not too overpowering or vinegary.





Chevapi & Ajvar - Charcoal grilled naked sausages, 'ajvar' (red paprika & onion relish)
Second favorite. The sausages were not too oily. They didn't have a strong garlicky aftertaste too. I thought the flavor could be improved and not as flavorful as I hoped. The Ajvar however, was a good sauce next to the sausages. Would prefer it to be a bit spicier.


Roasted Red Paprika's - With 'kajmak' sauce (soured cream sauce)
I enjoyed this one too. The sour cream sauce was surprisingly light. Red capsicums cooked well with no bitter taste.


Grilled Calamari - With garlic, parsley & olive oil
I missed this one and didn't get to taste it but it looked like a Greek or Italian grilled calamari.


From The Peka - Lambed cooked under the 'peka' with spring vegetables, garlic & rosemary
Lamb loin was well cooked and grilled well. Well done with no pinkish hue whatsoever but also tender. Not a bad choice. Has a very strong rosemary flavour. Skip this if you're not a fan of the herb.


Spit Roasted Pork - 300g Serving of free-range pork from the spit with apple rakija sauce & gravy
Best dish of the night. Crispy. Salty. Heavenly. The apple rakjia sauce was not needed here unless you're a fan of the sweet and savory combination.



I would recommend it for people who want an introduction to Croatian cuisine. I would also try the Sarma next time.

Brutale on Urbanspoon

Comments