Red Bean Couscous Salad with Roasted Lemon and Garlic Chicken

Changing from a normal to a wholefoods diet can be quite a challenge. And there's always a quest for me to look for and try new recipes. I rarely follow any recipe to the letter, so I like to do a lot of research and combine ingredients that I like. Some maybe too unfamiliar or difficult to remember. I also try to look for recipes that don't have a lot of ingredients in them, I don't like to over-complicate a dish. I think a list of 5 ingredients is the minimum that I would go for. Overall, I enjoy tweaking recipes.

An example below is the Red Bean Couscous Salad. I did some research on a lot of different variations of bean and couscous salads.You can basically use any type of bean you like and add tuna or salmon into this.

In this bean recipe, I mixed the couscous with some smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt and pepper then add just enough water to cook the lentils. I added instant seaweed flakes into it too. When the couscous is cooked, I added the red beans, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped parsley. I also added some cherry tomatoes that I pan fried just until the skins started to pull back.

Another recipe I tried today is Nigella Lawson's slow cooked lemon and garlic chicken. I halved the recipe to 2 chicken thighs, 1 lemon, half a head of garlic, dried thyme, pepper and olive oil. Well, my version was not slow cooked. I baked the chicken in a 160C oven for an hour, then at 220C for 45 mins.


Comments