Korean Inspired Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs

I took myself off the meat train for a few days in an attempt to eat healthier. I have to say it wasn't easy at first, I think I'm getting better. It's just that during weekends, I can't help but have something baking or slow cooking in the oven or over the stove top. I just love the sweet or savory smell that spreads throughout the apartment. In a way, it makes the apartment feel warmer during these cold winter days.

This weekend, I made these slow cooked beef ribs with dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, ginger, garlic, bay leaves, chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, peppercorns and Korean gochujiang paste. Sounds like a lot but they work really well together. I know some green is missing here, so perhaps I'll add scallions next time. The thing about this dish is that I will never use the same ingredients, I will miss one or add something else. And the good thing about it is - I know it will always taste great. The initial cooking is to just dump everything (except the sauces and paste) in a heavy casserole pot and let it simmer. I skimmed the weird scum that floats to the top. Once it's almost clear, then I start adding the sauces and paste. The oven is on for 160C. Slide the pot, covered, into the oven and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours.

The result is this reddish, intensely rich sauce (I also skimmed off the fat) with melt-in-your-mouth beef ribs. I had this with fresh spinach leaves and brown rice. Yum!



Comments